Good Grief

Good Grief

Thursday, May 13, 2010

Unsettled

I can't really describe this unsettled feeling I am having. Could be that it's 11:30 and I can't sleep, or the horrible crick in my neck, or the end of the school year stuff that is going on. I can't really put my finger on it. I think maybe the biggest thing would probably be that it has almost been 6 weeks since Shane left. Yes, for those of you that see me at baseball games or out to eat, I am going through the grieving process. All days are not hunky dorey and most days I would rather stay at home and pine away. Instead, I have 3 children that are depending on me to keep up their day t0 day goings and comings. Sometimes I feel guilty that I am not just crying all the time, in public, at home. Don't get me wrong I do my fair share of shedding tears and its usually at really weird times. However, my mom purchased a small book on grieving and this author states that there are 10 steps to grieving. I, so far, have covered about 6 of them. Right now I am on the step where whenever I close my eyes I see Shane and can hear his voice like he is right in the room with me. I'm by no means obsessed with this, but it is very unsettling. When this has happened its usually a great little break in the new world of a widow. However, at times I catch myself just wanting to stay in that moment. I probably need to stop writing about this or some of you may think I have lost it. I received a great phone call yesterday. I answered and a sweet voice of a young girl said, " This is_________ from _____________ I have a message for Shane, we are having a meeting at ________ time. " I didn't want to tell her, for I knew that it would upset her, but I told her that he had passed away last month, but thank you. I know it upset her thinking that she had upset me. Little did she know how good it was for someone to speak of Shane in present tense. I use to give him grief about all of the meetings that he had to go to. Oh how I long for those days. Quite unsettling. The kids are doing ok, as well as can be expected but I know that they are like me and are unsettled. I was going through Sam's folder from school the other day and noticed he had a large paper with some artwork drawn on it. I opened it up and it was large peace sign, I commented on it, then noticed there was something else on the back. It was a picture of the 3 crosses, with a stone with Shane's name on it and a person standing by the stone with tears flowing. I asked him about it and he said, "yea, that's me crying over dad's grave." Extremely unsettling, but in a good way. Sam is very quite and does talk about things but in a different way, so to see his feelings drawn on paper was a very good thing for me. I would rather him be drawing baseball fields, or the normal little boy stuff but to see that he is dealing with this is great to a mom.
The most unsettling part of it all is I don't know when the unsettled feeling will ever go away. I know they say that time heals all wounds, but really?? A wound this big, so jagged, so deep, so fresh????? I know Jesus' wounds have already healed our hurt, I do know all that, and know He is my comforter. At the same time, I miss the very man in my life that made me feel SETTLED, that made me feel safe, made me feel loved, made my children feel loved, and always assured me of God's love for me. I miss his presence, I miss his smell, I miss his touch, I miss his laugh, his smile, his jokes, I miss when he was in deep thought that he rubbed his eyebrows, I miss kissing his shiny bald head. I MISS him. So tonight, I 'm praying that God would please fill this huge wound with His love and presence, I pray for this unsettled feeling to go away, I pray that my babies feel His loving arms around them as they use to feel Shane's arms hold them. I know its been 6 weeks but we still ask for your prayers. Life goes on around us, but there is still a large gaping wound here in the Richardson household.
The LORD is good to those who wait for Him, To the soul who seeks Him. Lamentations 3:25
Lord I am waiting and seeking You during this unsettled time.

5 comments:

  1. DeAnn:
    Please know that there are so many people who are still praying for you and the kids. Who ask God to continue to wrap His loving arms around you and give you comfort, peace, and love. I think about you often and wonder how you and the kids are doing. You are in my thoughts and prayers constantly. Much love your way!!!
    Shanda Douglas

    ReplyDelete
  2. DeAnn,
    I found you!!! Yay! So happy to catch up with you today. Praying for your unsettled feeling. God works all things in His time. . easier said than done, right.
    We love you,
    w

    ReplyDelete
  3. DeAnn,
    I continue to keep you and the kids in my prayers and will pray for your unsettled feelings and that each of you are surrounded by comfort and love.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Deann, I learned in nursing school that there are steps to grieving...and yes you will go through each one at some point. I pray that you will start to feel settled, safe, secure,and I know that there is a physical void as well that cannot be filled. Just try to remember during the roughest, saddest times that there are so many people who love you and want to help fill any voids possible. Reach out, cry out, scream out if needed. You're such a beautiful person inside and out! So many are really praying for you and your sweet kids. May you feel God's presence and blessings.....

    ReplyDelete
  5. You amaze me !! I wish I there had been blogs 20 years ago when my Mother went home to be with Jesus. I wish I had written my feelings down, etc. This seems to be very therapeutic for me on so many levels, but I have NEVER done it for death. The pain, the agony, the bitterness destroyed for me my image of God. Slowly through the years and various other tragedies and tribulations in my life, I still struggle to maintain a relationship worthy of calling HIM my friend. Thank goodness that HE is a friend to the friendless.

    I know that this blog and caringbridge have perhaps been therapeutic to you. I am sure it is of little consellation, but reading it is therapeutic for me and I thank you for sharing.

    I never met Shane, nor do I know you, but I have followed the caringbridge from early on and kept up with everything via mutual friends at church and work.

    The unsettled stuff you write about here really hit home for me. Perhaps I never fully dealt with my grief. For 2 years I ran from God and did not grieve at all. I honestly thought I'd "dealt with it" and time would heal. Afterall, that's what everyone said. But, the feelings of missing my Mother still overwhelm me at times. I take comfort in the fact that she is with Jesus and there is no more pain and suffering.

    I didn't intend to ramble on about myself. I guess I just wanted to tell you that you are an inspiration to this stranger among you. I continue to pray for you and your children.

    ReplyDelete