Good Grief

Good Grief

Tuesday, March 1, 2011

One year ago today!

 It's been a bittersweet weekend here. Yesterday at my church we celebrated the Rev. Charles Evans. This man has been in the ministry 70 years.

Can you imagine?

As usual,his sermon was eloquent and insightful and from the heart. He spoke about how we need to take every opportunity to speak about our Savior. He spoke about how many times he has had the chance and didn't do it. I can't ever imagine Preacher Evans not speaking about Christ and His goodness, but I have to remember he is human. It was bittersweet knowing that he is at the age of needing to retire, but I have a feeling he will not retire from spreading the wonderful news of Jesus Christ. Lakeview Baptist gave him the honor of Preacher Emeritus of our church. As he spoke about it being the possibility of it being his last sermon (God forbid) I had a wave of emotion fly over me, remembering 1 year ago on the dot that Shane was behind the exact same pulpit giving what we now know was his last testimony/sermon. I also thought about Shane doing exactly what Preacher Evans said we all should be doing. Then I sat convicted that I am not taking EVERY opportunity to talk about Jesus. Shane admired and respected Preacher Evans in so many ways,he loved to hear him preach and said he could listen to him talk all day long and loved how he always included in his sermons the Lord's prayer. As I was leaving yesterday and gave Mrs. Adele and Preacher Evans a hug, I told him how much Shane admired him and his response was, "Shane was a special man, he was an anointed man of God."

Those words from such a Godly man meant so much to me and I will always be thankful. I'd like to end with the post from Caring Bridge from 1 year ago following Shane's last time behind the pulpit.

Saturday, February 27, 2010 4:18 PM, ESTGot a few minutes and thought I would give you the low down on the YACS meeting and what not. First of all thanks for all the support we have received for starting this support group. River City Bank and Craig Brewster, you are amazing, they are allowing us to meet in their beautiful building, they (or Craig) provided Chick fil A for us. How awesome is that. For our first meeting we had 12 in attendance. I had a wise lady remind me that 12 was a pretty special number. Hadn't even thought about that until she mentioned it. Dr. Dillmon (Shane's doctor) was there, and that meant the world to Shane and I. She has been extremely encouraging, has awesome ideas, and seems to be willing to help anyway she can. She is pretty awesome, and we adore her. Overall, it went pretty well. Basically, I just went over why we decided to start this support group and then Shane facilitated the rest of the meeting. It took a little while for everyone to warm up, but once they did, people were very open and had some great ideas for upcoming meetings. It was awesome spending that time with those that truly understand each other. Everyone was so extremely nice and seemed to enjoy themselves. We are going to attempt to have a Relay for Life team. So be watching out for that. We are in the works on ordering t-shirts, etc. Today we are gearing up for Shane's post cancer diagnosis testimony that he will share tomorrow morning. He is feeling pretty well, he started steroids yesterday to give him a little umph for tomorrow. His flushed cheeks are always a tell tell sign he is taking steroids. He even went in to the office today (tax season) and did a few tax returns, then showed up at Jake's baseball practice. I am a little nervous for Shane, hoping he has strength to get through it, that he won't start coughing as he sometimes does after talking for a while. Sounds like there will be lots of his friends there to support him and that always makes me a little bit nervous also. He seems fine with it, depending on Jesus to get him through it. I try and put myself in his place and wonder what I would want to share if given the chance. There is so much I would want to share that I really don't know where I would start. I do know that I would share how God has taken such great care of us through this. Also, Shane has mentioned Paul before, when he was first diagnosed with cancer. How Paul was torn on being with God in heaven or staying in the flesh and doing what he needed to do here on earth. What I am seeing is Shane, no matter if he has been diagnosed with a life-threatening disease or not, wants to continue to do God's work here on earth. No matter how bad he might feel he still wants to share with others what He has done and is doing in his life. I am not so sure if it was me that I could or would do it. So today, I just want to tell everyone just how much I love Shane and how PROUD I am of him. He is suffering well. How many of us would be willing to suffer the way he is???? Don't get me wrong, he has had his bouts of anger, feeling sorry for himself, etc. but overall, he is doing exactly what God wants us to do when faced with adversity. Just like the song says..."He never promised that the cross would not get heavy, or the hill would not be hard to climb, He never offered a victory without fighting, but He said help would always come in time." Shane seems to be carrying the cross up the hill with courage, and love for God and waiting to see what God is doing. Say a prayer for him that tomorrow he has the strength to speak, that the cough will stay at the door, and the Spirit will surround Shane and everyone that will be present in our church. I'll let you know how it goes as soon as I can. 

No comments:

Post a Comment