Good Grief

Good Grief

Friday, June 18, 2010

Going Guatamaulan!!!!

For some of you that know my family, you know that my eldest sister, Robin, and her 13 year old daughter Shannon, have been prayerfully preparing for a mission trip to Guatamaula. During Shane's sickness he knew all about this trip and I remember very clearly from the beginning when our family was questioning the money situation he said, "Nothing you do for God is easy, and if its God's plan for Robin and Shannon to go, He WILL make a way." My friends, He has made a way. So today this blog is so not about me, but a petition for all of you to cover Robin, Shannon and the rest of the group in prayer. Pray for their safety, their guidance, and pray that they come back from this trip changed. I have attached Robin's email she sent to me this a.m. She is reminding me that Shane is still working here on earth, even though he is not physically "here." I love you Robin and Shannon. Shannon, I am so very proud of you for deciding to follow what God asked you to do, not many 13 year olds have this kind of heart, a heart for missions. I know God has some serious plans in store for you. I hope when you are faced with the enemy that Shane's words will resound in your heart and soul to always remind you that there is nothing that can stop you. I know Shane knew what was in your heart and that is why he said those profound words to you. Robin, love you and so proud of you for following through with Shannon's wishes. I know this has not been easy at all, but gosh what a blessing, to see your child doing what she was intended to do. I know you both will be forever changed. Yep, Shane is smiling from ear to ear. WOuldn't be surprised if you didn't see a rainbow in the midst of this country. Watch for one.

I have asked Robin to journal while she is there, and hope she will, so that she can share her experiences. She has gotten off to a great start...


Here's a note I published on Facebook! I love you all, cherish our friendship, and covet your prayers!
Robin

So, here it is the day before Shannon and I depart for Guatemala. This past week I've found myself with a racing mind...a mom trying to get all the preparation and packing done, trying to get the house in order, trying to get all the family's needs met. Today, however, I awoke before the rest of the household with ONE thing on my mind...Shane!

For those that know me (and even for those that don't know me well, but have had access to my FB postings), you know that Shane is my beloved 38 year old Bro-in-law that left this earth for Heaven on April 3rd. While in the midst of the treatment and sickness, time seemed to drag. What seemed like a long battle at the time turned out to be just shy of 6 short months. During that time, I text messaged Shane frequently and visited with him often. I had the blessed opportunity of sharing in many a private conversation with Shane while he was bedridden. They are some of the most wonderful memories I possess. We talked about God, our faith, our doubt, our love for the Bible and it's power, our children, and his wife/my sister DeAnn. (More on her in future writings...Shane had felt the call to ministry just months before his diagnosis. He shared with me that he was coming to the realization that the ministry calling was actually going to be for DeAnn and that his sickness, cancer, and ultimate passing would be the launching of that ministry. I will write more on that later, but know I'm smiling as things are falling into place!)

Shane and I talked about this missions trip to Guatemala. We had his full support and blessing. Shane was a missionary himself...not through a church or an organization, not on foreign soil. But Shane lived his life and testimony openly bent toward evangelism and sharing the Gospel with everyone that came in contact with him. He was unashamedly bold in his witness. He was also a missionary in the sense that he had a keen eye and heart to recognize ways to practically minister to another's need...be it to clothe, feed, or help. He had missions on his mind and had said "yes" to wherever God would send him. Instead, God chose to have him come home. I mistakenly said earlier that Shane WAS a missionary. Let me correct that by saying that today his testimony and faith legacy are still bearing "fruit". So Shane IS a missionary still.

Shane loved it when I shared with him how this whole trip came to be. Shannon (my 13 year old daughter...12 at the time) came home one day and said simply, "Mom...God is calling me to Guatemala. I'm underage, so you will be going too. Here are our applications, I've already got most of them filled out". Very matter-of-fact...not disrespectful or disobedient to my authority as her parent but very certain and obedient to her heavenly Father's calling to "go". Shane spoke blessing over Shannon on one of his last days. He said several things but one thing as it regards her faith and willingness to serve God stands out in my mind: "Shannon, nothing will hold you back but you!". Those words have come back to my mind in times of my greatest doubts and fears about this trip....about anything I'm dealing with in life, really. "I can do everything through Him that gives me strength" (Phil. 4:13). "

My calling to be a sold-out missionary came a little later, as I was among the 5 present in Shane's "Final 10" (minutes of life here that is). We all caught a glimpse of the awe-jaw-dropping glory of Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. We saw the undeniable power of the Holy word as Shane BEGGED for scripture to be read as he knew it was time to "go" and wanted to hear it as he departed (John 14...read that and imagine what we experienced though you really can't. You will still receive a blessing though I assure you). We saw the truth of the resurrection victory as we "watched" and witnessed Shane's transition from this temporary earthly life to life eternal! You cannot experience that and NOT tell about it! So there was my call..."Whatever you have learned or received or heard from me, or seen in me—put it into practice. And the God of peace will be with you." (Phil. 4:9)

So here's my dilemma. One I lay out before you, my friends, for your prayers and maybe even a word that might speak to my heart as it is troubled. The trip is here. We leave tomorrow. In all these months of preparation and planning, Shane was a huge part of that. Subtly from a sickbed, but a part nonetheless. Once we go and then return, it seems like one more "goodbye" to Shane. As long as we are planning, it still feels like we are a part of something that Shane's hand was in. While I'm excited to go and experience this with a fabulous group of my Strong Tower family, to meet and serve the people along the way, to experience God and what He has in store for us, and to be blessed with this special time with my daughter...I find myself a little sad. I find myself wanting to hang on to this connection I feel with Shane through this. Lord have mercy. Does that make sense to anyone?

Thanks to all of you...for your prayers, your words of encouragement, your financial support, and for your friendship. I even want to say thanks to that one nay-sayer that wrote us an anonymous letter that was a little rude and a lot negative as it pertained to our going. It drove us to our knees and humbled us. But it was a good lesson in perseverance and endurance when you know you are doing what God has asked of you. God has been all-powerful, all-providing, all-present. To Him be ALL the glory.

Thanks for your continued prayers...for God to receive fame (Habakkuk 3:2) through us & in spite of us, for the trip/safety, for the people of Guatemala, and for Jamie and Asher as we will miss them like crazy. Thanks for continuing to pray for Shane's family...my sister and the kids.
I miss you, Shane. I know I go with your blessing.

2 comments:

  1. Wow. Go with God, Robin! You and Shannon are in our prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Is right! So excited for you and Shannon. This is going to be a life-changing trip. May God bless you and use you. I will pray for your safety and well being. Can't wait to hear your updates!

    Melanie

    ReplyDelete