Good Grief

Good Grief

Thursday, July 8, 2010

Making a Way

A few weeks ago a dear friend asked me if I would like to speak at a women's conference put on by Battlefield Ministries.  She informed me that it would be at  the end of July at the Summit in Fort Payne AL see http://www.lifeshape.org/ and it is called "Come...and Make a Way."  At first, I was a little hesitant and then after a minute or 2 became a excited.  I took that as a prompting from the Holy Spirit.  You see, through this journey I have wondered what God wanted me to do with what He has shown me through this.  I'm not sure if this is it, or what, but I keep hearing Shane say, "Deedee, this is what we went through it for, you can do it."  When I first started posting on CaringBridge people would  share with Shane how I was ministering through what I was writing, I never intended it to be a ministry but was happy to find out that it was to some. Shane read a few of my post, then said he couldn't read them anymore, that my words touched him and he just couldn't read them.  Every now and again, I would share snippets out of a few.  Later, when Shane became really ill I recall sitting in bed with him and I think it was my oldest sister, Robin, that was sitting with us.  Shane said, "I thought all along that it was me being called into the ministry but I think it may be DeeDee."  I said immediately in response to that, "I don't want it to be me, I want it to be you."  He just gave me that look and said, "You may be the next Beth Moore."  My response, "But I want you to be the next Billy Graham."  First of all, I could NEVER be the next Beth Moore, those are some darlin' big shoes to wear and I don't have big enough hair (just kiddin' Beth.)  I use to struggle thinking Shane was being called into the ministry.  I remember my middle sister Tracey saying, "You are NOT a preacher's wife."  Never really knew what she meant by that??!!  I remember thinking "Gosh, I really don't want that responsibility, to be everything to everybody."  Little did I know, where Shane's ministry would take him and me.  Then I remember thinking, "Shane is going to come home one day and tell me he is putting up his calculator and going into the ministry full-time, moving me and the kids to Africa."  That thought didn't last very long, cause Shane hated to fly.  Our sweet preacher/friend has said more than once that Shane was a true evangelist.  That he had a way about him that many people don't have.  He could immediately start talking about Jesus but never make you feel uncomfortable, and he made you want to know more.  I pray that God will give me just a little bit of that gift.  Witnessing has never been my strong suit.  I'm always afraid I will say the wrong thing.  Shane, didn't care, he knew if he was talking about his Saviour he couldn't go wrong.  Anyway, I am anxiously, excitedly waiting to see what God wants me to do with this journey and my experience with Him.  I do want to share with people, His Grandness, His love, His sustaining power.  For if it wasn't for HIM, I would not be where I am today. 

I have shared my concerns with sweet Jane, that I may just get up there and have nothing.  She reassured me that it was ok if that happened.  I've also expressed that I may wake up that Saturday morning and it may be one of those days I am not real happy with God.  She reassured me that it was ok too.  I so want the Holy Spirit to fill me up to overflowing so that the words that come out of my mouth are not at all mine but His.  I remember Shane preparing for his sermons.  He would prepare, read me his notes, read them some more. He would later come from behind the pulpit and I would say, "that is not at all what you prepared for today."  He would smile and say, "those were not my words."  That is my prayer that it won't be DeAnn up there speaking but God using DeAnn as His vessel.  Lord knows, I don't want any glory, I so don't like spot-lights (except maybe on the dance floor).  But He knows I want Him to get all the Honor, Glory and Praise.  I haven't asked for prayers lately, so here goes...Please pray that the Holy Spirit would fill me up, that He will take away all hesitations, that He will give me each and every word that will only glorify HIM.  Pray that my God allows me to have "something" that day to share that would touch someone or many.  Pray that God will reveal what I am suppose to do with what He has given me.  Pray that I can live up to Shane's request that I "don't waste his cancer."  I know Shane is continuing his work at Home, now I need to finish what he started here.  Thank you God for allowing me to be a vessel for you, I sure don't want to let you down.  I want to bring Glory to you,  "I just want God to get the Glory."  Shane-March 30, 2010.

This is the verse that came up on Shane's phone through Christ notes, the very day he passed, But I don't place any value on my life, if only I can finish my race and the ministry that I received from the Lord Jesus of testifying to the gospel of God's grace. Acts 20:24  Coincidence?  I don't think so, just another wink from my Dear Heavenly Father.  Robin and I were talking about, yet, another tragic event yesterday.  She was texting me after I had texted her a big WHY? She told me she is doing a Beth Moore study on Revelations and that just Tuesday night she stated that we do not leave here, until God is ready for us too...until our purpose is complete, even though we may not understand it.  Robin said immediately she thought of Shane, his testimony was complete and perfect in God's plan though not ours.  Now I just have to find the purpose God has for me so that I, too, can complete my testimony and go HOME!!!!  Thank you for the prayers. D

6 comments:

  1. I know you will do a great job - you long to glorify Him, and He will honor that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are truly inspirational!! I'll be praying that God will speak clearly through you!!

    Gail

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will pray for you, but it seems that you are a long way on your journey knowing that it's not about you, but about God's plan for you and I agree with your sister, He definitely has one. I know that it is scary, not knowing what to say, but again He will give peace about speaking as well as what to say. You mentioned Beth Moore and I know that she would say that never in a thousand, million years would she have thought God would have used her in the mighty way that he has. I'm studying David and Goliath passages for Sunday, giants we face, but if we would only learn from David, focus on "nothing is impossible with our God".

    Father, your peace now and those strong arms, please encircle and cradle her now as she needs. Give her your peace and your protection now as she feels the most vulnerable. Amen

    ReplyDelete
  4. D- I know you will do a great job! You will get up there and start talking and they will have to MAKE you get down because you have run out of time. Ha Ha! You have witnessed to so many of us through your writing and just like you said sometimes you couldnt type fast enough to get it all out. I have all the confidence in the world that you will be fine. Our heavenly Father and Shane will be helping you and I am sure there will be people in that building that will be touched. I love you and will be praying for you! I just know you will do great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. D- I am going to be at that Retreat. I will be praying for you. I can't wait to hear what the Lord will speak through you. You are and will continue to be his humble servant. Scripture has so much to say about humbleness with the Lord.
    See you in a couple of weeks.

    I've tried to comment several times, but can't get it to work. Let's see if this mac computer is all they say it it?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh D-You abosolutely glorified our Savior!! I watched you with much grace and dignity, as your soul was revealed and put out there for all to see and feel. I am so proud of your strength and courage. I am so sure that many women that listened saw a true love abound from you, one for your precious Shane, your children, and your family and friends and most of all YOUR SAVIOR!!I love you and will always be here cheering you on. RUN THE RACE FRIEND....I believe we are almost HOME!!

    ReplyDelete