Good Grief

Good Grief

Saturday, May 14, 2011

God is Good---Not just some of the time but--- ALL OF THE TIME

A friend and I were having a conversation the other day and she mentioned that she had been doing some "deep" thinking.  She said she gets really tired of recieving emails/updates on people that are going through something and when things are not good they just ask for prayer but when things are good they end the email/update with "God is Good."  She said it made her stop and think why some do that.  When things are bleak are not so good why don't they end it with "God is Good" instead of just ending good news stories that way.  I agreed and said yep, He is good all the time, not just some of the time, or half of the time, but all the time. I told her she needed to reply to the bleak news with God Is Good all of the time and maybe they would get the hint.   I have since reflected on that conversation over and over.  I thought about it one day this week when I had heard of a dear friends news of her cancer recurring after 4 years.  Even though I was highly ticked at God ( I think He is use to me getting mad at Him now, but He is bigger than me so He most assuredly can take it), I thought of it when I heard of another young lady "winning" her battle of cancer and how her kids now have lost, not 1, but both parents to this stinkin' disease.  How, even though, they are college age, they are now orphans. The most recent time I thought about it was on a morning walk this a.m.  As most of you know our neighborhood (which has to be the best hood to live in in Rome, awesome neighbors, kids, community) was hit pretty hard by the recent storms.  As I was dodging piles of debris in the road and looking at houses having to be rebuilt, our neighborhood clubhouse fence demolished and just the destruction all around, I thought how good He really is even amoung this.  In all of the destruction only hearts were broken but no bones, no injuries.  As I was rounding the corner of one of the streets, with Shane's praise music coming through my earplugs from his Ipod, a sparrow (amazing I know) almost flew right into me.  I had to smile, I love how God is humerous like that. Literally, a sparrow, I know it was a sparrow because of the way his wings looked, when he flew up away from me.  I immediately started singing in my head "His eye is on the sparrow, and He watches over me..." (even when MercyMe was ringing in my ears)
Sparrow in Flight
It scared him as much as it did me.  I'm so thankful that God's Spirit has let me be open to receiving such small reminders of just how good He really is.  Even in the midst of heartache, much pain, destruction of tangible things and destruction of hearts and spirits He continues to be the very same God.  He is the very same God that miraculously knits babies in their mommies wombs, He is the same God that places rainbows in the sky after storms, and lets the sun rise the day after, the same God that created one of my most favorite things... the ocean, He heals people daily, restores us secondly, loves us unconditionally.  Yes, He is the same God that flooded the earth, allows tornadoes to destroy, allows cancer cells to invade bodies, doesn't allow some to have those babies knit in their womb, He allows things that we don't like-BUT- He does this to benefit us, grow us and grow His kingdom. So no matter how bleak or how wonderful things are please please please remember that God is Good and He is Good ALL of the time, not just some of the time, part of the time, a fraction of the time, but ALL the time.  Open your eyes and hearts so you can see it.

1 Oh give thanks to the LORD, for He is good; for His lovingkindness is everlasting (Psalms 107:1).


19 How great is Thy goodness, which Thou hast stored up for those who fear Thee, which Thou hast wrought for those who take refuge in Thee, before the sons of men! (Psalms 31:19).

5 Afterward the sons of Israel will return and seek the LORD their God and David their king; and they will come trembling to the LORD and to His goodness in the last days (Hosea 3:5).

ALL THE TIME!!

No comments:

Post a Comment