Good Grief

Good Grief

Sunday, January 16, 2011

Isaiah 43:18-19

I should really be use to how God works, the way He makes things happen right when they need to happen, or right when His word speaks to me when I need it the most.  Even though I should be use to it I never do, I still get excited when He does something.  Truthfully, I hope I never get use to it because I love the excitement that comes along with it, it gives me the same feeling when the Holy Spirit is so apparent.  I almost can't explain the feeling.  Anyway, in my last blog I shared how God gave us the news of Tebow when we all needed it, how he used a perfect stranger to deliver the message.  In His mysterious ways we happened to run into her on Shorter Hill while sledding.  It was an odd encounter, me and Molly had just slid down and a young girl came tubing down behind us, as I was getting up I told her I was getting too old for this and she replied that she wasn't dressed for sledding, we laughed then she asked me my name.  I told her and her mouth flew open.  She told me her name and we grabbed each other.  I told her in a FB message that I wanted to give her a big hug for delivering such wonderful news.  God let us run into each other so I could do just that.   Amazing. 

Now, to my above referenced verse.  I have so desired to be able to spout scripture from my mouth like so many sweet friends and so when I saw Beth Moore's Siesta Scripture Memory time was starting I hopped on board to learn 2 scriptures a month for 1 year.  I didn't want my verses just to be a verse I randomly picked, I wanted it to be verses that really meant something to me.  Through our journey last year I grew to love the book of Isaiah.  This verse popped up just when I was searching for one...Forget the former things, do not dwell on the past.  I am doing a new thing, watch it spring up.  Can you not perceive it?  I am making a way in the desert and streams in the wasteland.  Isaiah 43:18-19   Woohoo, I just typed it from memory!  Huge!!  If you have never memorized scripture I challenge you to do so.  Anyway, this verse is very important to me in the sense that I don't want to dwell on the past, on the things we could have, should have done differently, on the ugliness of cancer, the uncertainty, the heartache.  I remember this verse last year about this time when we found out that Shane's cancer may have been a melanoma. I think I actually posted this verse in a Caring Bridge post.  I remember thinking this is it.  God says he is doing a new thing, I just knew that we were going to get a new diagnosis for better treatment.  Well, His "new" thing was not at all what I thought but He did do a new thing.  As I look back I do see how He has made a way in the desert and continually supplies fresh water in my wasteland.  Through this, Satan continues to make me want to question and doubt things about our journey.  So this verse being written on my heart will continue to heal me.  I had a conversation the other day that allowed Satan to sneak in and make me start questioning and doubting and wondering, then I remember this verse to not dwell on the past and when I don't remember it I see my spiral in my purse with this verse on it.  I tell my kids that when we proclaim Jesus' name or we recite scripture that Satan tucks tail and runs.  I have to remind myself that as well.  Shane taught me so much about having the Word living inside of you, so I'm so excited to begin this scripture memory.  Now, when Satan starts his thing I won't have to run to the bible and search for scripture, I will just spout it out and watch him run.  It's time to pick my second verse, wish me luck on memorizing. 

2 comments:

  1. God does work in mysterious ways. And as someone told me on a college church retreat years ago, its not about our timing...its all about God's timing. His PERFECT timing. It may not be the timing we would have laid out for oursleves or our families, but God never fails us or leaves us. It always works out in HIS timing and we just have to learn to embrace it and thank Him for it. Praying for you guys still! Love you!!Shanda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome verse. This is one of our family's theme verses. I had it painted on an angel and it hangs on an old door above our dining room table. So many people have visited us then called me back and said, what was the reference for that scripture. God has used it in so many ways. So glad you are doing SSMT. Emmy and I did it in 2009 and went to the event in Jan. of 2010. We are doing it again! It will change your life!
    Love you,
    w

    ReplyDelete