Good Grief

Good Grief

Tuesday, May 20, 2014

You Just Never Know!

Just a little nugget of goodness I wanted to share.  I was on my regular Monday grocery shopping excursion.  I had finished up the dreaded task and had unloaded the groceries on the conveyer belt.  I overheard a cashier ask the man behind me at another cash register if he minded if she audited the drawer before she started checking him out.  He was gracious enough to tell her that would be fine.  I immediately thought, he's more patient than me, I would have said, "could you wait, i'm in a bit of a hurry" or acted like I was put out by the whole thing.  As I waited, not so patiently, on the others in front of me with their 2 carts full, I heard the man's voice again asking if they could double bag his groceries.  Now, this is the man that let them audit the drawer before checking him out.  Obviously, the cashier was not so gracious because I then heard him say, "never mind, if you will just bag them and then I will double bag.  I have to catch the bus and I don't want the bags busting."  He also mentioned he hoped he didn't have too many groceries to get on the bus.  As I waited, another lady came up behind me and obviously heard the whole conversation as well.  I overheard her ask where he lived, he told her and she said I'm from Centre I don't know where that is, is it close.  He said it was in E. Rome.  I was either in a Walmart stupor watching the total rise of my grocery bill or I blanked out from hunger pains so I missed part of the conversation between them.  The next thing I heard coming out of my blankness was him saying, "thank-you, you're and answer to prayer."  The registers continued to beep, my total continued to rise and I gathered that this nice lady had offered to give him a ride.  My first thought was, never, she's crazy.  Then I heard her say to her mother, a sweet grandmotherly type in the next isle-"Mom there will be a strange man riding with us when we leave, I offered him a ride."  The grandmotherly lady, shook her head and looked at me like, "Uh-oh."  The man finished his transaction, food stamps and all, and no double bagging needed.  He told the lady he would wait for her.  In a few minutes he walked back up to lady that offered the ride and said, "Can I buy your pizza with my food stamps for exchange for my ride."  She said, " no way."  He proceeded to tell her that he ended up on food stamps because he had left his job in ATL to come back to Rome to take care of his mother who had dementia.  She had since passed and now he was left living in an apartment, on food stamps looking for a job.  Imagine, giving up everything so you could take care of your mother that probably didn't even remember his name at the end.   This stopped me in my stupor for sure.  To think this man that I'm sure I may have easily judged for being on food stamps or for asking for double bagging or just because he had to ride public transportation was in this state because he had left his job in ATL to come home and take care of his mother?!  He seemed educated, maybe mid 60's and my heart swelled for the man, a son that obviously loved his mom.   
I thought about the lady only hearing him talking to the cashier and offering a ride.  When he walked off I told her it sure was refreshing hearing someone be as gracious as he was for a simple ride.  She said yes, but its a blessing to me to be able to help him.  People, I had just witnessed goodness and grace in the Walmart checkout line.  I couldn't help but smile pushing my groceries to my car.  Knowing this man was going to be blessed with these two ladies from Center knowing their conversation was easy and knowing he was probably graciously helping them unload their groceries into their car to somehow repay them for giving him a ride. 
Lesson for DeAnn-never be quick to judge.  Try to see the good in people.  Offer a helping hand when you can. Pay attention in the Walmart checkout line because you just may receive a blessing.  I sure did.  JSM- lesson- remember to take care of your mother when she can't even remember your name.  You just never know...

No comments:

Post a Comment