Good Grief

Good Grief

Monday, July 16, 2012

Learning from Nehemiah!

I just celebrated my 43rd birthday, I was blessed to be with family and friends, and am thankful for another year(I think.) As I get older I continue to see so many blessings of everyday life and realize that those blessings make me the person I am today. I also realize that the things I go through that don't look like blessings at all are what make me who I am today. I received sweet messages in 2 birthday cards (1 from my mom & dad and 1 from Shane's mom & dad) that basically said the same thing. How they have watched me grow in the past 2 years and how proud they are of me. My sweet 15 year old niece even said On FB that I was one of the strongest people she knew. Shane's mom wrote that Shane saw the inner strength in me and that is why he knew it was ok for him to leave that I would be able to carry on. Wow, glad he saw it cause I never did. But I do now. However, that inner strength is not my own. That strength comes from the One who knows me. It comes from knowing He's got everything under control. I've mentioned before that my sweet friend LG gave me a trinket box with Nehemiah 8:10 "The joy of the Lord is my strength" on top of it when Shane first got sick. She told me that that was going to be my verse and ironically there was a song that played over and over on the radio with that verse in it. Then, this past year my ladies bible study studied who??? One of my favorite books in the bible now...Nehemiah. If you haven't studied that little book in the old testament I strongly suggest it. I learned so much from this great man of the bible. He grieved for his people, went to God in prayer obediently and then did what he could to use what God had given him to help rebuild the walls that surrounded Jerusalem. This short book is packed packed full of instruction on the right way to pray. He started out by worshipping God then partitioned his request. He also shows us how to live confidently/boldly when knowing we are doing God's will. If you read further you see how Nehemiah wants to do God's work, and do it well. The verses go on to tell us how the Jewish people had let their own "walls" be torn down by letting their children marry others from other nations, those that worshipped other gods. It goes on to tell of how Nehemiah trusted that God would help him to rebuild the wall around Jerusalem, to protect His chosen people. It tells the story of how God used unskilled men with no experience to rebuild the wall. Much like He will use the most ordinary of us today to do his work when we feel we are not equipped.It tells how there were many enemies that did not want the wall to be rebuilt, but instead of Nehemiah fighting them himself how he trusted God.It tells of how the Jews worked together to build while others protected. Of course they complained and were tired but Nehemiah encouraged them that they were doing Gods work. Long story short-they successfully rebuilt the wall with Nehemiah's trust in God, his instruction, his humbleness, his prayers. >Not only did he take on the rebuilding of the wall, he also restored order in the city depending on God for His help. I share all this with you for the reason that, I too, am rebuilding walls, even while the world around and the enemy will always try to tear it down, I'm continuing to seek God's will, and continuing to learn how to completely trust my Father just as Nehemiah did. I'm continuing to draw strength from God's joy. Hence, the change in the title of my blog. Not saying the grieving period is yet over. But I am saying that it's time for changes, time for me to proclaim where my strength comes from, and continue to give Him the glory and honor He so deserves. So please tune in to my new blog---The Joy of the Lord is my strength. Hope to see you soon!!

No comments:

Post a Comment