Good Grief

Good Grief

Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Encouragement and Birthday Wishes!!

I love when things just fall into place.  Doesn't happen very often in my life, except for maybe the kids clothing falling into place on the floor, or backpacks falling into place and the oak leaves that are starting to fall in my yard.   Anyway, this week its been God's Word just falling into place.  I recently agreed to facilitate a women's bible study at my church on Wednesday night.  Having a Mary personality I was rather reluctant on taking this on.  However, felt that God wanted me to do this.  Yes, in DeAnn fashion, I have had moments of regret.  Sometimes when I commit to something, dread sets in, then insecurity sets in, all has to do with me never liking change.  This causes change to my routine and having to put forth a little effort.  I truly am striving to put a little Martha into my life and be more willing to serve.  Getting back on track, session 2 in our study was discussing mentoring and encouragement.  I have fallen head over heels in love with Barnabas.  We have been discussing how he mentored Saul/Paul, John Mark.  Then in my Wed. morning bible study we were discussing Nehemiah and how he was encouraging the rebuilding of the wall when things were really really bad for the people.  We discussed these verses:  24 And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds.1 25 Let us not give up meeting together,2 as some are in the habit of doing, but let us encourage one another3--and all the more as you see the Day approaching. Hebrews 10:24-25
. We talked about how we should really consider how we encourage and what encouragement looks like.  I had to bring these verses up tonight with my ladies because when I read it this morning it was one of those times where it literally jumped off the page at me. In discussing this tonight my sister informed me that the youth leader has encouraged the youth to memorize scripture and these verses were ones my niece chose to memorize.  Talk about coincidence, or confirmation from our Father Just when I am questioning the why's of why I agreed to teach a bible study when I don't feel equipped to do so I have an A-ha moment and see v. 25 that we should not give up meeting together.  I have 20+ women willing to come to Wed. night bible study, wanting to meet together to learn more about God's Word.  Does it get any better than that?   I am praying that these women will be encouraged and want to encourage others by our "meeting." I pray that God will prompt them to encourage without judging and not want anything in return. 
I can't help but think of all the encouragement I received 2 years ago at this time.  Saturday will be 2 years to the date that Shane found "something" on his lung.  Molly's 3rd birthday.  I remember the encouraging text, phone calls, hugs, etc that started pouring in and didn't stop during the 5 months we dealt.  I told the ladies tonight that its time for me to "pay-it-forward" and that its my turn to start being the encourager.  I pray that God will fill me with his Spirit to recognize those that need encouragement, that need a kind word, a hug, etc.  I pray that I will want to carry others burdens as they carried mine for so long.  I pray,especially,that I will not be quick to judge or spout out opinions about situations but just be there when needed. That I will be a friend, confidant, as God intended me to be.  I pray that I may be the encouraging mother that God intends for me to be.  We discussed Timothy tonight,  how his mother and grandmother played such an influential role in his spiritual life even though his own father was not a believer. I realized even though I am a single parent I still can guide and teach my children what loving and trusting God looks like. I want to be what Barnabas was to Paul.  Knowing if Barnabas had not seen the potential in Paul and given him a chance our New Testament would not be what it is today. So I thank the Barnabas' in my life that have urged me, encouraged me and saw my potential.  You know who you are and I am forever grateful.  

By the way...Happy  Birthday to my sweet Molly.  May our memories be focused on the wonderful day you were born and the joy you have brought to so many lives for these past 5 years.  May your memories of your daddy live in your heart forever and may you feel his love for you every day of your life.  More importantly, may you feel your Father's love abundantly and may you seek Him daily all the days of your life. I love you Lil' Curl, you are a true gift from God. Mom   

No comments:

Post a Comment